Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I think I can I think I can

Don't misunderstand me! I do sit around thinking the website says we have to finish the first 9 miles in a pace of 13:??. Yes, that is freaking me out. But, in the back of my mind I also read only the streets will start opening again but we can keep walking. I just don't want to be "that one" still on the street when they open them back up again.

I did have the same fears about the Austin Marathon. Only it was more about the hills I would have to climb. Yes, we went up over an amazing 3,000 feet. And I felt every hill and it was a thrill in the end.




"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian




Don’t be set so much on willpower and determination that you miss out on the big picture of why you want to do this. By the way, why do you want to do this? Don’t let yourself off by stopping at your first answer! Dig deep! Why do you want to run a marathon or half marathon?
When you go beyond that first answer, you will begin to realize what is really driving you. When you learn what is really driving you, then you can use that to push yourself through willpower and determination. You will build the foundation that will get your subconscious mind working for you, not against you. In short, you are in for an incredible experience.
"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."
- Emil Zatopek, 1952 Olympic Marathon gold medalist

No comments:

Post a Comment